The Trondheim canal, or rather canal harbour, was built during the 1870ies and was ready for use in 1884. It was built by raising the sandbanks utside town and building quays and railroad station on this articifially built island. The whole area is an island.
The quays at the seaside were built for ships going overseas and the quays on the town side for local ships. Between these quays a new central railway station for Trondheim was built.
When the railroad was changed from narrow gauge to normal gauge a lifting bridge was built at Skansen at the western part och the canal. This bridge was opened for traffic in 1918, and is the only lifting bridge for railroads in Norway that is still used.
In the eastern part of the canal there are to two lifting bridges for cars, but they are not in use any longer.
The canal has one further connection to the sea, the Ravnkloa canal. It runs from the midst of the canal out to the sea. There's a fixed bridge crossing the canal. Small sightseeingboats to the old castle Munkholmen use this canal in the sumnmer.
The museum by the canal
View towards east
View towards west
Boats in the canalharbour
© Pictures from 2001 by Anders Arnholm
Click here to get back to the startpage.
This page was modified at 12-08-06