During the 17th and early 18th century the copper works at Røros was in desperate need of fire wood. When this could not longer be found in the vicinity the need for rapid transport increased and in 1715 the work on a timber floating canal between Femunden and Feragen started. The same year the water started to flow between the lakes, something that made the transport much easier, but also made it possible for fish to move between the lakes.
Between Feragen and Store Langtjern, and between Store Langtjern and Lille Langtjern timber canals were built to make floating easier.
The canal is between the northern end of Femunden and lake Lille Langtjern. The canal is 300 meters long and the difference in level is 2 meters.
It was built in 1762.
To make the digging easier they built a dam at the southern end of Lake Femunden which raized the level 1,6 meter. This was not popular on the Swedish side of the border as they lost much water in the Klarälven river. The Norwegians were forced to take away the dam and dig the canal deeper instead.
The project was finished in 1764.
The floating canals were in use long after the copper works stopped using it. Now the timber was transported down the Glomma river.
The floating canals decayed, but in recent years they have been restored to let 500 liter water per second pass from Femunden to Glomma at normal waterflow.BR>
Sources: Bjørn Tore Hindklev, Rørosviddas fiskefauna, text on Internet 2002. Leif Ryvarden and Tor Selstad, Glomma, Universitetsforlaget.
Do send comments or further information to Bosse Arnholm!
Click here to get back to the startpage.
This page was modified at 12-08-06